Thursday, February 9, 2012

Unfortunate Timing


I was playing the Captain America and the Avengers game the other day, and I noticed something a little strange. Iron Man looks fine. I always thought Captain America's boots were a little pirate-y for my liking, but whatever. Hawkeye looked as good as possible considering that his costume is purple and triangular-faced.

But Vision. What the fuck is this? This is not the Vision I'm accustomed to .


THAT'S the Vision I remember, the one who was Christmas-colored and banging the Scarlet Witch for some reason (BTW, we need to discuss her taste in men. An android, another android based on the first android, and a weird "keep it in the family" thing with her brother, who bares an unmistakable resemblance to her father).

This shit happens all the time.

Look at Wolverine in the X-Men arcade game:


That was a quality getup. It was kind of like his previous look, but someone decided to add in the sort of "diarrhea-y" quality that has always been an essential part of the character.

And this one kills me:


Some of my favorite JLA books occurred during the unfortunate period when Superman was like this. I distinctly remember him being able to read the information on a CD with his eyes, which was cool, but not as cool as, I don't know, shooting lasers from his eyes or being stronger than anything that ever existed.

It's kind of unfortunate when these costume changes happen right around the time a game is developed or a statue is molded or anything like that. It's kind of like taking your kid on vacation during his unfortunate, sulky, teenage period where his fashion choices are mostly about reminding you that he does not want to be involved in any of this in any way.

Just as a plea to makers of comics, try and time this shit so we can get the good versions of our superheroes we all love in the games that are going to haunt arcades for the rest of our lives. It kills the buzz a little when I'm drunkenly feeding quarters into an X-Men machine at an arcade in the movie theater, knowing that I'm missing the previews that come before whatever shit pile I've been tricked into seeing, and thinking how the diarrhea version of Wolverine should only cost 24-cents to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment