Sunday, November 21, 2010

New Walking Dead Trade: My Greatest Fears

The new Walking Dead trade (#13) is coming out this week. Very exciting. Also, scary, and not because zombies might eat someone's flesh.

I'm a big fan of Walking Dead and have been for a while. Yes, that's right. I knew about it before the show, which means that I am superior to other fans in a very big, very important way that can be summed up as: First!

But anyway, when I get into something I get a little nervous when the new one comes out.

Let me talk about a couple other things that operated in a similar way for me.

In addition to being a fan of comics, I was also quite a fan of Battlestar Galactica. I know, that puts me in a very rare position. There must be less than a dozen people who enjoy both comic AND soap operas set in deep space which are scored by a man who goes by the name "Bear."

I was into those Battlestar seasons on DVD, big time. But in about the third, and especially the fourth season, the same thing kept happening. You'd get a great first couple episodes, then a whole bunch of episodes where fuck all happens, then a fucking great two episodes to end the season. You could choose to just say fuck it and not care, or you could watch a dozen hours of TV that didn't mean a thing just to get to the meaningful ones. This is why BSG season 4 sits on my shelf, unwatched except for the first disc.

Lost, same thing. Started strong, slowed down, then every season was a zero until the last two episodes. Again, I made it three season and one disc.

I'm starting to worry that Walking Dead is fucking me the same way. It may not be the same strap-on, but I recognize the thrusting style. Maybe I'm wrong, and the very last trade was pretty decent, building to an ending as opposed to saving up all the material for an ending. But still, very nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment